Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Big is NOT Beautiful

This post might make you think I have a superiority complex about being in good shape.  I do.  I hella do.

The culture of acceptance being created around obesity absolutely disgusts me.  I can't believe that we are, as a civilization, supporting people being fat.  In the real world, these people would never survive.  The choice would be to get healthy or get buried--literally.  Fatties would get hunted down by predators because they are too slow; they would be more likely to die from disease and illness because their immune systems are suppressed; they would be ostracized from their communities for taking more than their share of the hunt and not contributing enough to the welfare of the group.  I'm sick of hearing "big is beautiful, or "I'm a real woman,"  or "it's what's on the inside that counts."  Well, whatever's on the inside has a serious flaw too if you think that being a walking diabetes brochure is acceptable behavior.  Why are people so polite to fatties? My health insurance premiums are being affected by the burden of life-extending care for these lazy a-holes (who should be allowed to choke themselves with their neck fat in peace).  I should at least get to heckle them with rotten fruit and lettuce.  Bring back the stocks!


People are in denial about the negative health impacts of being overweight.  When I tell my sister that her overweight boyfriend needs to lose weight, her first assumption is that my reasons are purely aesthetic.  "But I don't mind his belly, it doesn't bother me that he looks that way."  Honeychild, that gut is the least of your worries!  You might not care that his body is a mess on the outside, but NEWSFLASH: it's a mess on the inside too.  And you should care about that.

"Being in shape" is often incorrectly associated with aesthetics.  Yes, a healthy body does look better than a hot mess of sideboob and frontbutt, but that alone shouldn't motivate you.  Yes, people want to be attractive--yeah, yeah, you shouldn't have to conform to other people's ideas about beauty--save it.  People should want to be healthy too; for themselves, for their spouses, for their children.  And there should be no backlash about that--attractiveness may be subjective, health is not.  I can empathize with wanting to feel good about yourself.  But being overweight will shorten your life; is that the gift you're giving your husband for your 50th wedding anniversary (if you even make it that far)?  I think most people are willing to take the chance on their life expectancy if it means they can get out of the discomfort of diet or exercise--hell, with modern medicine, most chunker clunkers can probably live to be 70 anyways so why go to the trouble?

I'm not saying everyone should go out and start bodybuilding, or powerlifting, or running marathons--I don't judge people for not being muscular or not being ripped.  Health is enough.  Not everyone has to be super lean--everyone does have to be healthy.  Do the right thing for yourself and the people around you.

#IHateExcuses
#IHateObesity
#IHateExcusesAboutObesity

No comments:

Post a Comment