Pages

Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Open Season

Well, it's 20 weeks until the Nevada State Championships and that means it's time to start my diet.  My most recent prep went really well overall, so I'm not going to change my approach in any drastic ways this time.  The primary alteration will be the duration of the diet--for my last show I only had 12 weeks by the time I decided to compete and it just wasn't long enough at the pace I was going.  An additional 8 weeks should be enough to really bring a dialed in package this time around. Here's my jumping off point for the first few weeks.

I base all my diets on a six-meal day--no tapering, no food curfew, nothing fancy.  After the first meal of the day I'm chowing down every three hours like clockwork: 17-20 grams of protein, 27-32 grams of carbohydrates, and at least 10 grams of fat.  During the off-season, I apply an "anything goes within the macros" attitude to my carbohydrate choices, meaning I can have any type of carbohydrate I want, as long as the amount of carbohydrates stays the same.  But now that I'm tightening my belt, so-to-speak, I'm also going to pay closer attention to the types of carbohydrates I'm eating, and when I'm eating them.  I'll start to restrict faster digesting carbs, such as breads and baked goods, to post-workout or first thing in the morning--the two times during the day when you really want fast digesting food.  Sticking to slower digesting carbs like oatmeal, rice, or potatoes the rest of the time will help me maintain even blood sugar and lipolysis.  I'm also cutting out all those little extras I've let myself have during the off-season--to start, I'll be restricting cheat meals to once per week, if that.  These two adjustments should be enough to make significant improvements initially.**  Here's what an average day will look like:

Meal 1:
15 grams cold-filtered whey protein + 3/4 cup milk
Coffee with milk and sugar (15 grams or so)
1 waffle @ 14 g of carbs w/ a healthy serving of butter (yes, butter!)

Meal 2 and 3:
75ish grams of chicken or beef
120ish grams of rice OR 135ish grams of potatoes
.5 ounce cheese 

Pre-workout:
15 grams cold-filtered whey protein + 3/4 cup milk
27 grams oatmeal (measured dry)
7ish grams of cinnamon sugar + butter and milk (for the oatmeal)
1/2 scoop Superpump Max

Post-workout:
1 whole egg + 3 whites
1 slice toast OR 2 waffles with cinnamon sugar

Last meal:
Repeat Meal 2/3

**When this meal plan stops measurably affecting my bodyfat levels, it will be time to increase my caloric deficit again.  Because my food intake is already relatively low--and because there's nothing worse than plateauing at 8 weeks out eating 5 grams of carbs per meal--I will probably do this by adding a moderate amount of low perceived exertion (PE) cardio.  I think 20 minutes on the elliptical three times a week should be plenty to start--you can always add more later (and there's nothing worse than plateauing at 8 weeks out doing 2 hours of cardio a day).  Trying to go too fast too early will only tank your metabolism that much sooner, causing your fat burning to grind to a nearly irrevocable halt before you're ready for the show--better to start slow and give yourself lots of wiggle room later.

All in all, I'm really fired up about this prep: I'm starting out 10 lbs lighter than last time looking 10 times better, and I know what I did wrong last time--what's not to be fired up about?

2/9/13 Edit: Here's a clip I shot earlier this week.  I'm at 154 lbs or so in this one, 19 weeks out! 

  

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I always appreciate comments, those which appear to be nothing more than a link and an attempt at free ad space will be promptly deleted. Put it in your own words or send a private message :)

      Delete